Sunday, December 21, 2008

When did the 12 days of Christmas begin to include 3 strep throats???

Well, we made the move and we are almost completely settled in. It's only been 8 days and we only have a few boxes left to unpack in the office. And I actually have a reason for not unpacking them! They all contain pictures or other various items that can't be put out until we clean up all of decorations after Christmas. Jacob loves his new room and Daniel, well... he's still pretty oblivious to it all. The first night we were here, I was prepared for an epic battle at bedtime trying to get him settled. Nope. In fact, when he went into his room, he was actually trying to put himself in his crib. I put him in his bed and covered him up and when I went back to check on him a few hours later, he was still in the exact same place where I left him. Well, you know - except now he had his mouth closed and was drooling in true Daniel-style! Jacob, on the other hand, took a bit to get him to stay in his room. I think he was just too excited to finally be in the new house that it took him a while to wind down.

Dylan's sleep schedule the weekend we moved in was a whole other story. They were having a problem at his work and from Thursday night to Monday morning, he only had 17 hours of sleep. Two of the nights, he came home at 4:45 am and 6:10 am. So, needless to say, the only thing he was able to accomplish that weekend was getting all of our stuff over here and then he left me to sort through everything. Luckily, since we had already moved a lot of stuff over before the big moving day, there wasn't a whole lot to do. Unfortunately, we didn't get our Christmas tree over the weekend like we had hoped, but we did finally get one on Monday night (yes, 10 days before Christmas!) and it took me until Wednesday to decorate it. Thankfully, it's done now and I am actually sitting here trying to finish up writing our Christmas cards so that I can get them mailed out by Monday or Tuesday. So, if your card is a little late, just remember - we've been a wee bit busy around here. :)

OK - now to the strep throats. The boys were sick with a cold for most of last week and Jacob had a fever that kept coming and going, so I took them to the doctor on Saturday. They both had horrible runny noses and congested coughs and I expected them to have ear infections or bronchitis. Nope. They had strep throat. Well, at least Jacob did. Daniel wouldn't open his mouth for the doctor to look into without being held down, so needless to say, there was no way he was going to let him swab the back of his throat. The doctor went ahead and gave Daniel antibiotics, too because he said he probably already had it and if he didn't, then he probably would have it soon. Wait. What's that? That's only 2 strep throats? Where's the 3rd one, you say? Oh, yes - that would be mine! Saturday evening, it hit me like a ton of bricks. All of a sudden, it hurt to swallow and I could feel the beginnings of a fever. Ugh. Luckily, there was an awesome doctor on-call. All I had to do was tell him that my kids both had strep throat and - Bam! He called in a prescription for me. Love it! And now, 24 hours later and I'm as good as new.

Yes, Virginia - it will be a strep-free Christmas, after all. Or something like that. :)

3 comments:

Jill said...

It sounds like - other than the strep - everything is going well. I am so happy for you guys!

Stacey said...

Glad you guys got settled into your new house just in time for Christmas. What a wonderful Christmas present!

Diedra said...

Praying all of you are better and enjoy your Christmas.